- 1 lb. summer squash or zucchini, sliced crosswise ¼” thick
- ½ head of garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon, removed in wide strips
- 2 sprigs thyme
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Place a rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350°. Toss summer squash, garlic, lemon zest, thyme, oil, and salt in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish to combine.
Turn garlic cut side down, then roast vegetables, tossing 2 or 3 times, until golden brown, very tender, and edges and cut sides are crisp, 1 hour and 40 minutes–1 hour and 50 minutes. Let cool slightly, then add lemon juice and toss to coat.
Recipe originally published on Bon Appetit:
- Roasted Vegetable photo Credit: Chelsie Craig. Food Syling by Claire Saffitz.
Cooking summer squash low and slow yields sweet, nutty, tender-but not mushy-results. They fold into pasta beautifully, but that’s just one of many ways to use them.