CLEANSING CARROT SQUASH SOUP
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, or water (for sautéing)
1/2 white onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium-sized carrots, chopped
1 apple, chopped
1.5 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
black pepper, to taste
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or light coconut milk)
fresh juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- In a soup pot, heat the veggie broth (or water) on medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, apple and ginger. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the butternut squash, sea salt, turmeric, thyme, cinnamon and pepper. Mix well and cook another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and almond milk. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are soft.
- Turn off heat and stir in the fresh lemon juice and maple syrup.
- Using a hand blender (immersion blender) pureé the soup until smooth and creamy. You can also use a regular blender but be careful! Be sure to let out the hot air from the top to prevent a soup explosion haha.
- Taste test and add more salt or extra spices as needed.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh apple, raisins, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds or pecans!
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Freezes well.
Recipe originally found on: https://www.theglowingfridge.com/cleansing-carrot-autumn-squash-soup/